Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Adjusting ... and Accepting

Over the past few days I've been slapped in the face by reality. I discovered something, and although I was desperately trying to avoid it, I have realized that some things cannot be helped.

I will not be one of those women who only gains 20 pounds during pregnancy. I will not be one of those women who only looks pregnant from the side profile. I will not be one of those women who only eats fruits & vegetables and lean protein during pregnancy. I will not be one of those women who is still running 4 miles a day the day before they give birth.

I am one of those women who gains weight according to her body's predetermined genetic programming. I am one of those women who gains it in her ass, thighs & hips. I am one of those women who indulges in the occasional ice cream, DAILY carbohydrates and lots of snacking during pregnancy. I am one of those women who can no longer run a mile, and that seemed to happen overnight.

If you've been reading this blog you know that I've been keeping up with my workouts during this pregnancy. I still participate in Body Attack 2-3 times a week and I've also been jogging on the treadmill 2-3 days a week. It still feels good to workout and I've been listening to my body to know my limits and I'm definitely not pushing myself to run farther or faster. This morning, however, my body decided it needed to have a little chat with me. It let me know, in no uncertain terms, that it no longer enjoyed jogging for longer than 5 minutes but that brisk walking was no good either. My shins were burning and I was only walking at a 3.9 mph pace. When I jogged at 5 mph I was winded after 5 minutes. It was only 2 weeks ago that I was able to run almost 1.5 miles with no problem whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, though. I still plan to go to the gym regularly. I will just take my intensity down another notch (or two) in order to maintain a healthy pace.

And I weighed myself today. I've officially gained 20 pounds at 23 weeks pregnant. For some reason I feel like this number will more than double over the next 17 weeks. I'm not complaining about it, because I know that my body is doing what it needs to do to GROW ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, but it does start to get a bit annoying to think that all that exercise has had little effect on my total weight gain.

Yes, I admit, I am eating more. And it's simple math, really. If you consume more calories per day than you burn you will slowly gain weight. But I also rationalize it with the fact that I lost the weight once and I know I can do it again. My goal for after this baby is born, and AFTER I recover from the emotional breakdown(s) I experience postpartum, is to return to the weight that is listed on my driver's license. I don't think I've been that weight since I got married.

Here are a few recent pictures:

22 weeks


23 weeks


An apparently I haven't figured out which side I'd rather pose with, so you get one of each this week.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

You look amazing! You are one cute pregnant lady!