Monday, November 9, 2009

3 Weeks

Lillian is 3 weeks old today and I'm feeling really good. Probably the Lexapro, but I'm totally fine with admitting that. I feel better on the medication, and after my doctor appointment today I will probably be on it for the next 6 weeks to 3 months. Joe has also admitted that he likes me on drugs, so hopefully when my doctor "weans" me off the Lexapro I won't go completely nuts again.

I've lost 25 pounds in 3 weeks, but sadly I have at least another 25 to go. So much for not gaining a lot of weight with my 2nd pregnancy. I didn't gain 60 pounds like I did with Brandt, but I sure got close. I won't pretend that the weight just falls off (like the celebrities claim) with breastfeeding, although nursing does burn up to 500 calories a day. But it also makes me super hungry all the time, and I've been eating a ton of carbs lately so these last 25 pounds aren't going to melt off any time soon. But like my friend, Gina, said ... I've lost it once and I can do it again. It might just take the next 7-12 months to do it. And I'm really looking forward to going back to the gym, although I will probably have to wait until the first of the year.

Lillian slept for 5 hours last night, from 7:15 - 12:15. And since I go to bed as soon as she does, I got about 4.5 solid hours of sleep. Then another 2, and another 1.5 ... so I'm feeling a lot more rested than I felt when Brandt was a newborn. And that's almost a necessity in order to take care of B during the day. I'm pretty sure I would lose my mind if I had to exist on 3-4 hours of total sleep per 24 hours.

Brandt has been doing well with Lillian, although he's definitely testing more boundaries because he wants more attention. He also knows I can't always get to him right away so he will act out while I'm nursing Lillian or changing her. I know it's only going to get more challenging but for right now I feel like I can handle it. But once again, that might be the Lexapro :)

Funny thing about anti-depressants. Once you start taking them, and admitting to others that you take them, you suddenly find out that so many people are also taking them. It's a bigger club than I thought.

2 comments:

Short and Sweet said...

Yes, that anti-depressant club is overflowing with members. Ask mothers, teachers, post and peri- menopausal women & you will probably have a majority right there.

Colleen said...

I am so glad that you are doing so well! I think the neurologist was on the verge of prescribing me some today! He would be correct in doing so!

XOXO

PS-H&M is open, and I still haven't been, but it gives you a good reason to come up here that's for sure!