Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Abdominal Surgery, Take 2

My second c-section SUCKED. I realize I never posted about the actual birth process for Lillian so I can provide a few details now.

Everything hurt worse the second time around. The spinal hurt going in and I felt a jolt of pain shoot through my right leg down through my foot. I got nauseous at the beginning of surgery so the anesthesiologist gave me something for that. Apparently Lillian's head was bigger than Brandt's because my doctor had a hard time getting her out through the same incision and the assistant kept pushing down on my chest and abdomen to get her out. The pressure was quite intense and I felt like they were going to break my ribs. After surgery I still had the itching associated with whatever narcotics they gave me, although I don't remember it being as bad as with Brandt.

My incision hurt a lot more, though. And it seemed as though the nurses weren't as eager to give me pain medication as they were the first time. I had to ask for it every 4-6 hours instead of them coming in and offering it regularly. And every time I requested the percocet and/or ibuprofen the nurses asked me to rate my pain level on a scale from 1-10, with 5 being like I was crying from pain. So I felt like I had to prove to them that I needed the medication instead of them just understanding that, hello! I just had my lower abdomen and uterus cut open so they could take a baby out! So of course I was in some serious pain!!

There was one night, either the second or third night, that Joe and I walked Lillian down to the nursery and I couldn't make it I was in so much pain. I stopped walking and was leaning against the hand rail on the wall and I couldn't stop crying because it hurt so badly. I told Joe to keep going and take Lillian and that I would wait for him. A nurse heard me crying and brought a wheel chair for me and took me back to my room. And then they brought me some pain killers. It seriously sucked.

The uterine contractions weren't pleasant either. Especially when I was nursing Lillian. I could feel my uterus cramp and it was like someone was stabbing me in the belly. The clots of blood were more intense as well ... way more than with Brandt. I know it's kind of gross to talk about but I was passing clots the size of baseballs. Yuck.

Once I got home I felt a lot better, so the first 3-4 days after surgery were the worst and I was in the hospital so at least I had help. And because I had a 2nd c-section I am destined to have more c-sections if I ever consider having more children. But if each recovery is worse I really don't think I will consider having more children. I am seriously thinking about Essure, which is permanent birth control, although Joe has hinted that he thinks permanent isn't the way to go since I'm only 29. Given my painful c-section recovery & my more intense post partum depression after baby #2, I really don't know if I could go through it all again. But at this point birth control isn't really something I need to worry about, if you know what I mean.

Poor Joe.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

This was making me sad, and then you turned it around for me with the last two sentences. I can't relate to anything other than the baseball size blood clots and hatred of the pain scale! I am sitting at my computer, chuckling to myself, HA!