Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Boobs Win Again

Ok, so I know that not all moms can breastfeed ... and of course not everyone enjoys breastfeeding because it's demanding and difficult in the beginning. So combine the sleep deprivation with new-mom anxiety and throw breastfeeding on top of that, it is VERY hard for a lot of women to continue nursing past the first few weeks/months after having their baby. I know I was miserable a lot when it came to nursing and waking up every 1.5 - 2 hours.

But that being said, I made the commitment because I knew breast milk was better for Brandt nutritionally and that it provided him with the very important antibodies he needed to stay healthy and build his immune system. So I continued. Even though I was an emotional wreck and delirious the first 6 weeks. But I also had the added perk of burning an extra 500 calories a day just because I was lactating. Nice. Even though 'lactating' is such an awful word. Moo.

Here's another reason why breast is best:
Melamine in Infant Formula

And I know this doesn't help mom who use formula feel better about their decision, so I'm not trying to make people feel bad. I'm just making a case for breastfeeding, and how very important it is.

No comments: