Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hope

I have to be hopeful because otherwise I'd lose it even more than I did this morning between 2am - 5am when Lillian wouldn't go back to sleep. She will be 7 weeks old on Monday and I'm hoping things go uphill from here. They say the first 12 weeks are like the 4th trimester because babies are still adjusting to the outside world, so they tend to freak out pretty frequently when they realize they're not still snug and cozy inside a warm 98.6 degree womb with loud whooshing noises swirling around them. So we are supposed to swaddle them and give them white noise to help them sleep. I've been swaddling the heck out of Lillian and it doesn't always work. The Miracle Blanket has not yet proven to be miraculous.

But I did get an interesting piece of advice today from a total stranger on BabyCenter.com. She said to swaddle with 2 or 3 blankets, one on top of the other, that way they are totally contained and can't break free. So tonight I wrapped Lillian in the Miracle Blanket and then swaddled her again in a regular blanket on top of that. I'm hoping that keeps her pinned down. I also put her in her crib tonight. I'm excited and nervous at the same time, because I don't know how things will go when it's time to feed her.

I will post an update when I can ... as long as I get decent sleep ... so think happy sleep thoughts for me.

No comments: