Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Change Is Coming

One of the many perks for breastfeeding mothers, aside from reduced risk of developing breast, ovarian & uterine cancers, is the absence of menstruation.  Yay for no periods!  I haven't had a period since January 2009 before I got pregnant with Lillian.  The hiatus from monthly cycles varies for each woman, depending on frequency of nursing & her body's own biological mechanisms.  Some women see their periods return after 2-3 months while some don't get their first postpartum period for over a year.  This helps with natural family planning for couples who don't use any form of birth control.  I know for a fact I would not have been able to get pregnant for the past 8 months.

Until now.  I can tell things are changing since Lillian is only nursing 4-6 times a day.  My body recognizes this change and interprets it as a way to prepare for a potential new pregnancy.  Open for business, if you will.  I know I recently ovulated so it's only a matter of time before I have to dust off the box of tampons.  I made it 8.5 months with Lillian, but only 6 months with Brandt.


Now for the interesting question: What will I do with this renewed fertility?

Hmmmm.

3 comments:

Short and Sweet said...

I know that you have been introduced to Joanne F. and her two daughter, Vanessa and Rachel who are 11 months apart because Joanne just "knew" she couldn't get pregnant while breastfeeding Vanessa! It seems to me that you and Joe have been very lucky with your form of birth control if breastfeeding is all that you have been using!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Karen said...

It's VERY rare to get pregnant while exclusively breastfeeding during the first few months (nursing 8-12 times a day), and by exclusively I mean no formula supplementation. And I know my body and I recognize the signs of ovulation and I can assure you I wasn't ovulating at all.

OMIDucky said...

So what ARE you going to do with this new found fertility? I know we are done over here! (as soon as he makes his appt).