Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Uncertainty: Part 2

I have another dilemma that I've been pondering as well. I realize that I still have a few months to think about this, but I figured I could put it out there now.

Do I attempt the VBAC or go with another scheduled C-section? Since Brandt was breech we had no choice but to schedule the c-section. I really didn't mind it that much, aside from the first 24-48 hours. After that my incision felt uncomfortable but manageable. The only thing I didn't like about the c-section was whatever narcotic the anesthesiologist had given me. It made me itch like crazy and feel sick to my stomach for about 12 hours after surgery.

My doctor said I'm a good candidate to attempt a VBAC since my only issue with Brandt was breech presentation and not labor related. She will evaluate me around 36 weeks to see how everything is going down there and then we can decide if we would like to attempt the VBAC. I have a few things to consider:

Pro VBAC:
1. Less recovery time because no abdominal surgery.
2. Feeling like I actually "gave birth" instead of just laying there while a baby was cut out of me.
3. The ability to say, "I had a VBAC," because that is kind of impressive.

Con VBAC:
1. Having to be induced because my doctor has to be at the hospital the ENTIRE time I'm in labor just in case my uterus ruptures.
2. Uterine rupture.
3. The possibility to getting really screwed up down there, and as my friend Gina points out, I already have a c-section scar, why do I want a screwed up *area* as well?
4. The possibility of ending up with another c-section anyway from labor issues.
5. Scheduling the c-section = easy & convenient planning. Scheduling an induction = not as convenient because there is still the unknown of when the baby will actually come out.

Does anyone have any other VBAC "pros" because my list seems to be leaning toward repeat c-section.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

I have nothing good to say about the VBAC! I have never had a c-section, I have heard the recovery sucks, but seriously, there are too many risks to you having a VBAC! AND, as sucky as the c-section is, at least you will be able to see the baby immediately, go to recovery, see your baby-if your uterus ruptures, that just sounds like emergency surgery!

PLUS, I am with the girl that told you you haven't stretched yourselves out down there, DON'T DO IT! Why should you have a c-section scar and a loose everything!

I am sure you will make whatever decision you think is correct, but I just wanted to share.

XOXO

Olivia said...

That is the one thing that really freaks me out about having another kid is to VBAC or not to VBAC. My c-section experience was HORRIBLE though (as was recovery it seemed) so I may end up risking it. I would recommend asking what is the statistical possibility of a uterine rupture (and then tell me please. If it's a small chance, then maybe the worry about that is unwarranted. But if you had a great experience with the c-section, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought to doing it again.

Karen said...

I've discussed it briefly with my doctor a few times, and I know we will discuss it more when I get closer. I will ask her honest opinion, and what SHE would do in that situation. Joe is pro repeat c-section for most of the reasons I listed, so I don't know what will happen.