Friday, April 9, 2010

Favorite on Friday

Theme: Cloth Diapers

I have been cloth diapering full time for over 6 weeks now and I've had a great experience with most everything I've tried.  Here are my top 3 favorites:

1. BumGenius All-in-One (AIO)

Probably the easiest way to cloth diaper because an AIO is most like a disposable with fit & fastening.  I have quite a few of these thanks to a current coupon promotion that offers a free AIO with any $10 BumGenius purchase.

2. Thirsties Fab Fitteds & Covers


This is a slightly more economical approach to cloth diapering and still very easy to use.  You can buy several fitteds and a few covers and you'll be set.  When it comes to changing the diaper, just put a new fitted on the baby and reuse the cover as long as it isn't soiled.  Thirsties covers are wonderful because they have extra gussets in the leg area so they provide extra leak protection.

3. Prefolds & Covers

This is the most economical option for cloth diapering and a little bit more involved than the previous two options.  This is more of an "old school" approach to cloth diapering.  You fold the diaper between the baby's legs and put a cover over it; or you fold the diaper, secure it with a snappi and then cover.  Snappis are the modern day pins without the risk of poking yourself or your baby.  I never really enjoyed using Snappis because Lillian was 4 months old by the time I started cloth diapering and it was easier to just fold and cover.  Using prefolds on smaller babies, however, usually requires the use of a Snappi to secure it in place.  My very first cloth diaper purchase was this starter kit.

I have fallen absolutely in love with cloth diapering, which might sound a little nuts, but it makes me happy so I will continue to do it.  Lillian has not had a diaper rash since I've started using cloth.  She also hasn't had the blowouts that she used to have with disposables.  I think I've dealt with 2 leaks so far.  Overnights aren't an issue either because I insert doublers to increase absorbency.  And the money I've invested into cloth diapering isn't wasted like the money that is tossed in the trash with every disposable diaper.

The above are just a few entry-level cloth diaper options.  Here are a few of my favorite cloth diapering sties for more information & diaper variety:
Kelly's Closet
Cotton Babies
Mom's Milk Boutique

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Short and Sweet said...

Yes, this has become an obsession. However, dad and I get a kick out of the way you have your folding rack set up and move it outside to dry the diapers...so cute. As long as you and Lillian (rash-free) are happy, then we are happy for you. Keep up the good work.